Friday, May 23, 2008

Wow, It's been a while...

I realize now that I have neglected this blog for quite some time. It's not like I haven't been busy, or anything like that, but for now, that's beside the point. I just finished Cory Doctorow's latest novel, Little Brother. It's a stunning look into the future, that's captivatingly written. It's a short read (the PDF is 155 pages long), and a quick one at that, because once the story gets rolling, the action doesn't stop. That's not to say it's not good, (it's one of the best books I've read lately) it's just short.


One of the things that jumps out at me about all of Doctorow's books is that they're available for FREE on the internets, and they're all distributed under a Creative Commons license. Having read the book, crowdsourcing, RFID, and other security tech really make me nervous now. Not like über-paranoid nervous, but oh-my-heck-what-does-the-future-hold nervous.


This, in fact, is precisely why everyone with a quarter of a technologically-savvy brain should read Little Brother. Anyone with any say in how this new technological wonder of a world is going to be developed needs to read this book. Hell, everyone and their brother (or sister) needs to read this book. It's that important. There's a quote from Neil Gaiman, claiming that Little Brother is a successor to Orwell's 1984. I thought it was just hype. After reading the book, I have come to remember that Mr. Gaiman is a very wise man when it comes to books.


So, a choice, my dear reader, lies before you. The red pill, or the blue pill. The choice is yours.




No comments: